Works with ElkArte: 1.0-1.1
This addon allows you to target specific users and give them the special gift of “misery” until they chill out or leave your community. It can be used as
- As an alternative to banning or deleting users from a community.
- As a means by which to punish members of your community.
- To delight in the suffering of others.
In your admin panel you will need to enable it, and set the various misery options in percent. You will find the settings under Security and Moderation -> Misery
The aim of misery is to be not traceable by users that are on the list, so misery actions should be sufficiently subtle to avoid suspicion. It provides that selected users may experience various “errors” interrupting their site experience.
The following page load misery can be applied:
- Delay: Creates a random-length delay, giving the appearance of a slow connection
- White screen: Presents the user with a white-screen
- Wrong page: Redirects to a defined URL instead of the page they requested
- Random HTTP errors: Presents error screens like 403 Access Denied, 404 Not Found, etc
- JS popup: Shows a user defined message (by default it says to enable cookies) that they must clear to continue
- Logout: Log the user out
Form misery (posting, PM, email) when applied will randomly result in the following errors
- They submit but it does not actually post
- The message subject is removed and they are warned that a subject is needed
- The message body is removed and they are warned that a message can’t be left blank
- Session timeout error
- Already submitted error
- Post to long error
Feature disabled, blamed on server load, includes
- Search disabled
- New replies to your posts disabled
- Show this user’s posts disabled
- Show unread posts since last visit disabled
- Show recent posts disabled
Download a package by URL
- Download a package by URL is a quick way to download a package from the web to your forum. Using (Package Manager -> Download Package) enter the below link under the “Download a package by url” field and select Download. This will save the package to your server where you can install it.
Upload a Package
- Alternatively, download the package using the below link and then using (Package Manager -> Upload Package) browse to where you saved the package on your computer and upload it to the server. You may also FTP the downloaded file directly to your packages directory.
This ElkArte Addon is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public License version 1.1 (the “License”). You can obtain a copy of the License at https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/1.1/